Wednesday, June 18, 2014

What's Cooking Wednesday #14

I am pretty sure that every New Zealand home has a copy of the Edmonds Cookbook. This book has been through so many publications, and I have the original, Junior and Illustrated versions of this iconic cookbook.

Today I am sharing a recipe from the Edmonds Illustration Collection for Gingerbread Loaf. I have adapted this recipe based on what I had on hand.

You will need:
2 cups standard flour
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons golden syrup
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup sultanas

Lightly mix flour, salt, baking soda and spices in a bowl. In a separate bowl, beat eggs and sugar until thick and pale. Add oil, golden syrup and milk then fold into the dry ingredients. Fold in sultanas. Spoon into a loaf tin and bake at 180 degrees C for 45 minutes.

So easy to make- I whipped this up before dinner.



The verdict:
Slightly dry, but it had a lovely gingery taste and was great with some butter for afternoon tea. I will keep this recipe on hand as it is very quick and easy, plus I usually have these ingredients in the pantry and fridge. Next time I might add another egg and slightly more milk to see if that helps.


No comments :

Post a Comment

I love getting comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...