Wednesday, June 4, 2014

What's Cooking Wednesday #12

Getting a hot meal on the table in record time was the aim for this week's featured meal, and once again I turned to Jo Seagar for inspiration. Her Ploughman's Self-Crusting Pie sounded delicious and I had all of the ingredients on hand.

You will need:
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup trim milk
  • 1/2 cup self-raising flour
  • 3 tablespoons chow chow or other chutney
  • 1 1/2 cups grated cheese
  • 2 cups button mushrooms sliced in half
  • 2 mini peppers, finely diced
  • 3 small tomatoes
  • 4 medium potatoes cooked and cut into cubes
Whisk together the eggs and milk, then stir in the flour, chutney and grated cheese.


Mix in the potato cubes, mushrooms and peppers and pour into a pie dish that has been well sprayed with cooking oil.

Garnish with tomato slices and bake at 220 degrees C for 30 minutes.


The verdict:



I served this pie with some extra chow chow and steamed Cajun vegetables. Me, my husband and my younger son ate this pie. My four year old declared that he was full and didn't want any dinner! My husband was happy that there are leftovers for lunch tomorrow, and I bet it will taste good cold as well. I really liked how simple this was to make using ingredients I usually have on hand, and you could easily substitute other vegetables instead of mushrooms and peppers. This might be a new lunch idea instead of quiche, as the chow chow gave it a nice added texture.

2 comments :

  1. This looks like a really yummy quiche? I love that it is self crusting! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing.. Love this dish. It's definatly a go to, when I need a quick meal, and uses leftover week meals... Win win...

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...