Wednesday, February 25, 2015

WCW Apple Shortcake Slice


My mum's apple tree has been laden with fruit, so I took some apples off her hands. These apples are best eaten cooked, so I stewed up a big batch and thought I would try my hand at recreating the apple shortcake slice I love from my local coffee shop.

Apple Shortcake Slice

You will need:
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
a pinch of salt
3 cups self-raising flour
2 cups stewed apples

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (350F). Lightly grease a 9x13 rectangle baking tray.

Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla extract and salt. Beat well.

Fold the flour slowly into the mixture.

Divide the mixture in half and press one half of the mixture into the bottom of the pan. Spread with the stewed apples, then roll out the remaining half of the pastry and lay on top of the stewed apples.

Prick some holes in the top layer of pastry and bake in the oven for 25 minutes.


Leave to cool then cut into squares. You should have a clearly defined layer of apples between two shortcake layers when you cut into your slice.



Serve dusted with icing sugar. This can be eaten cold as a cake for a snack, or heated and served with custard or icecream. My boys loved a slice in their lunchboxes!

Linking up with Tatertots and Jello, Pin Me Linky Party and Kitchen Fun and Crafty Friday!

3 comments :

  1. I have never seen an apple slice like this, but it looks so darn good. We always go apple picking, but that won't be until September for us. Thanks for sharing this tasty recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to add this recipe to our list for school lunch boxes and my daughter's birthday party at the weekend. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delicious! My kids would love this slice!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...