This chocolate cake is light and fluffy, with a hint of peppermint and a rich chocolate glaze. The addition of snowflake sprinkles make this the perfect Christmas showstopper cake, or you can substitute any other type of Christmas sprinkles. If you are in the Southern Hemisphere like me, you could use a mixture of red and green sprinkles instead of snowflakes.
You will need:
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup milk powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup dark cooking chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons peppermint essence
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon milk powder
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 3/4 cup dark cooking chocolate, chopped
- 1/3 cup butter, cut up
- 1 tablespoon light-color corn syrup
- Christmas sprinkles to decorate
- Allow 3/4 cup butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl stir together flour, 1/3 cup milk powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl microwave chocolate in 30 second bursts until melted. Cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl beat 3/4 cup butter with both sugars until well combined, Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in melted chocolate and peppermint essence.
- Alternately add flour mixture and 1 1/4 cups water to chocolate mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Pour batter into a bundt cake pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove cake from pan; cool completely on wire rack.
- Meanwhile, for glaze, stir together 1 tablespoon milk powder and the boiling water until milk powder is dissolved. Add the 3/4 cup chocolate, 1/3 cup butter, and corn syrup. Mincrowave on medium power for one minute until melted and smooth. Cover and chill for 30 to 40 minutes or until glaze is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Drizzle glaze over cake. Top with sprinkles and serve.
As you can see, the cake was very popular!
Linking up with Fall Into the Holidays and Wow Me Wednesday.