Wednesday, February 12, 2014

What's Cooking Wednesday #4

This week for my recipe I am using a cookbook that I won a while ago and never really read through. It is called Minced by Sue Hamilton and Dana Alexander, and it is all about using minced meats (ground meat for you overseas) and making everyday food. With two meat loving children this might just be my new go-to book!

I love a good pizza, but buying one from the supermarket or takeaway shop can get quite pricey and my children pick off half the toppings. In Minced, a recipe for Meatball Pizza caught my eye. I changed the recipe slightly to make the pizza dough in my breadmaker instead of by hand, but you can always do it traditionally. I also used bottled pizza sauce instead of making my own, as I somehow ended up with two bottles of it in my fridge.

Meatball Pizza
adapted  from Minced by Sue Hamilton and Dana Alexander

Pizza dough
1 cup warm water
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon sugar
3 cups high grade flour
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon Italian herbs
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon active dried yeast

Meatballs:
250g beef mince
1/2 cup wholegrain breadcrumbs
1 egg, beaten
salt and pepper to taste

Topping:
3 tablespoons pizza sauce
2 cups grated mozzarella cheese

Place the dough ingredients in your breadmaker in order listed and set to dough method. Once the breadmaker has completed, place the dough in a bowl and cover with a tea towel. Leave to rise for 40 minutes. This dough makes enough for two bases, so you can put one aside for another day.



Meanwhile, mix the mince, breadcrumbs, seasoning and egg in a large bowl.

Place half of the dough on a floured tray and roll to the desired size.


To assemble, spread the base with the pizza sauce. Spoon tablespoons of the mince mixture into your hands and form into balls, placing on top of the pizza vase. Add a generous amount of mozzarella cheese.


Bake in a hot oven at 200 degrees C until the cheese is golden and the meatballs are cooked through, around 20-30 minutes.


The verdict:


I couldn't wipe the smile off my face during this meal- this is hands down the most successful pizza I have made. The base was thin and crispy, the meatballs were a great topping and all of my family enjoyed it. Because I have a second base left, I am going to make this again very soon.

Joining in with Wake Up Wednesdays.

Wake Up Wednesdays

3 comments :

  1. It looks delicious and awesome. I would never have thought of putting the meatballs on it uncooked. I think I will try this with my boys. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! I'm sure my family will love it. Totally worth stopping by for. So glad I checked my #bb100 comments off my to do list before going to the grocery store :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAT??? Meatballs on a pizza??? That's crazy! And brilliant! My boys would go bananas :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...