Friday, February 4, 2011

Fitness: Getting ready to run

I admit it, I used to hate running. To me it was up there on my most despised form of exercise. Even running on the treadmill freaked me out, as I was worried I would fall on my face. However, lately I have been doing little sprints of running at my Wheelie Fit class, and I have also been doing a walk/run around the block where I will run for two lamp-posts and walk for one. I am still an absolute beginner though! I figure it is time to take my running up a notch, as recent studies show that running can help prevent heart disease, diabetes and osteoporosis. (Quoted from Women's Health magazine July 2010.) So here is my running plan for beginners:

Begin each session with a five minute walk. When you are able to run for more than 30 minutes,  you can add more distance.
WEEK     RUN     WALK     REPEAT
  One       2 mins      3 mins     6 times
  Two       3 mins     3 mins     5 times
  Three     5 mins     2 mins     4 times
  Four      7 mins     3 mins      3 times
  Five       8 mins     2 mins      3 times
  Six         9 mins     1 min       3 times
  Seven    30 mins

Obviously if you are beginning any soret of exercise plan, it is wise to speak to your GP first.

1 comment :

  1. I did interval training yesterday and wanted to collapse at the end of it but it's such a great feeling putting your feet up at the end of the day and knowing what you've achieved.
    Good luck with the running - I'll race you when I come back to NZ!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...