Creamy Macaroni and Cheese- serves 4.
You will need:
- 2 cups elbow, shell or other bite-size shaped pasta
- 200g bacon strips
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 1 can light evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1-3/4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup grated Edam or other low fat cheese
- 1/2 cup dried wholemeal breadcrumbs
- Bring 1 litre of water to boil in large pot and add pasta. Using package directions as a guide, cook until al dente. Drain. To prevent sticking, drain and immediately pour onto a large lipped baking sheet and let cool while preparing sauce.
- Meanwhile, microwave the evaporated milk and chicken broth in a 4-cup Pyrex measuring cup or bowl until hot and steamy (not boiling). Melt butter in the empty pasta pot; whisk in flour, then hot milk mixture. Continue to whisk until thick and bubbly, 3 to 4 minutes. Whisk in mustard, Parmesan and pepper. Turn off heat, stir in half the Edam cheese until melted.
- Quickly cook the onion and bacon over a high heat until golden brown. You do not need to add any oil if your pan is non-stick.
- Add drained pasta and bacon to sauce, and stir until everything is well combined over low heat.
- Place into a non-stick oven dish and top with the remaining Edam cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 180 degrees C.
Amount Per Serving Calories: 412 | Total Fat: 19.7g | Cholesterol: 57mg
I hope you try this recipe, it is great comfort food!