Wednesday, September 17, 2014

What's Cooking Wednesday #24

Spring always makes me crave fresh vegetables and juicy fruit, and so I am very glad that salads are back on my menu.

I have been excited to try out a recipe called Bang Bang Chicken from my recipe book What Shall We Cook Today?, but have simplified it a bit. Who wants to roast a chicken when it is swelteringly hot outside? This salad combines two of my favourite things- satay and roast chicken, and serves them on a salad bed. Simple, delicious and full of flavour.


Bang Bang Chicken
adapted from What Shall We Cook Today?


400 grams pre-cooked chicken
1 medium cucumber
1 large carrot
salad leaves
for the dressing
5 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
1 spring onion finely sliced
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon castor sugar
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons hot water

Shred the cooked chicken and put onto a plate.



Slice the carrots and cucumber into sticks, then add to rinsed salad leaves.



Add a pile of the salad to each plate then place the sliced chicken on top.

Combine the dressing ingredients and spoon over the chicken to serve.



The verdict: I really enjoyed this! The sweetness of the apple cider was a bit different to my usual satay sauce recipe, but the spring onions helped to balance it out and make it not too sweet. The roast chicken and salad mix was very refreshing, and it was a great way to get a good vegetable intake into the kids. I will be making this again, and experimenting with adding other favourite salad ingredients such as boiled egg, bean sprouts and croutons. 

Linking up with Wow Me Wednesday.

1 comment :

I love getting comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...